Thursday, July 3, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


So many people have read and loved this book, and I can now count myself among them. The thing I liked most about this book was that Elizabeth Gilbert was about my age when the book starts. She is married, and very unhappy. One night, alone in her bathroom, alone, and terrified, she makes a plea to God for help - even when she isn't sure there is a God to begin with. And this begins her journey. After her nasty divorce and a difficult rebound relationship, this woman takes a year off and spends 4 months in Rome, 4 months on an Ashram in India, and 4 months in a small village in Bali, learning from an old medicine man. She is one a quest to learn to rediscover pleasure, to discover her inner self, and to find the balance between the two. The book is remarkable, and it made me wistful that I couldn't take a year to do nothing but search for inner peace and love. It inspired me to think about how I spend my time an energy, and maybe about how I need to be a little more mindful in that department.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'd love to go hopping around Europe, especially after making a trip there in high school. I think a lot of women will be inspired to do this sort of trip after a life-changing event to renew a sense of self.