Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci and Jim Rugg


This graphic novel was awesome! It is about Jane, a girl who survived a bombing in her large city hometown. Her parents move the family to suburbia, where Jane will be "safer." Jane however, is unsatisfied with the new town, and the popular kids at her new school. Her brush with death has given her perspective on life, and she wants friends and relationships with more meaning to them. She sits at a table with a bunch of misfits in the lunchroom, and discovers they are all named Jane. She gets a wild hair up her nose to start a subversive art campaign in her new town, and gets the other reluctant Janes involved. It is really cool to witness these teens getting fired up about art and social consciousness. It made me wish I could go back and do things like that. Well, I guess I don't have to be a teenager, now do I?

No comments: